Search This Blog

Saturday 29 June 2013

Wrestlemania XXVIII Re-Do Review




Wrestlemania XXVIII Re-Do Review




For some reason this is the only one I feel like reviewing just now. Been a while since I did this one. Over a year anyway. Well then let's get started. I think you guys know the drill for the Re-Do Reviews.




Started off with a great rendition of America the Beautiful by Lilian Garcia . Why doesn't she just do it every year ? She does it so much better every year than anyone else .



(I still agree with this. Although for some reason they didn't have anyone sing it this year. Lilian absolutely kills it here)


Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus
I was totally shocked and disappointed by this match . I was expecting those guys to go out there and give it the best they've ever given , but sadly weren't allowed . Saying that however , this is probably the best 18 second match you will ever see . 1/4*


(This one is still quite painful to watch, but considering that it led to Bryan's gigantic popularity rise and possibly every push he's gotten since then, I can't bring myself to give it the dreaded DUD rating. I'll stick with 1/4* for the rise of Daniel Bryan)


(I had never noticed before, but during the Team Johnny backstage segment you can hear the fans chanting 'Bullshit' at what they just witnessed)


Randy Orton vs Kane 
I wasn't expecting this match to be very good ,but i have to admit that they exceeded my expectations . Good match with Kane picking a very surprising victory . Looks like its the night of surprises here . **3/4


(Fans continue the Daniel Bryan chant in this match. Now this was a thrown together feud if I ever saw one. I don't even remember what they were feuding over. Might have been the No DQ match they had in 2011. Anyway the match was not as bad as many people had predicted it to be. The match had it's slow moments, but it really picked up pace towards the finish. Kane winning was really surprising, and he won in a big way with the second rope chokeslam. I'll stick with the **3/4 rating)



Big Show vs Cody Rhodes
This match was how I expected it to be : short with good action throughout . Big Show picks up the win to become the latest (and biggest) grand slam champion in the wwe . **


(A feud built out of Show's embarrassing Mania moments. It's nice that he got a proper Mania match here and had his own Mania moment, as winning the IC Title made him a Grand Slam Champion. Cody gave a great performance here. Show's emotion after the match helped put the match over just that little bit more. I'll increase the rating to  **1/4)



Kelly Kelly & Maria Menounos vs Beth Phoenix & Eve
This match was surprisingly good and long . Got to give Maria credit for going out there with broken ribs and still putting on a performance . Too bad Beth had to get pinned though . **


(It does annoy me that this throwaway match got more time than the World and IC Title matches. I still have great respect for Maria performing with broken ribs. I don't think many other celebrities would have done the same thing. This was actually very entertaining for a divas match. I'll stick with the  ** rating)


Undertaker vs Triple H : Hell in a Cell
I'm probably overrating this match but I dont care . I watched Wrestlemania with a few friends this year , and when this match was over , we were all hugging each other after what we had just witnessed . Some weren't even wrestling fans ! Unbelievable match with amazing storytelling from all three guys . Shawn Michaels deserves and Oscar for his performance. I truly thought the match was over after the DX special. The aftermath of the match was great with all three guys hugging each other to signify that it was indeed the end of an era . Classic . Taker goes an amazing 20-0 after a tombstone . *****


(I was kind of worried that I might end up lowering the rating for this match, but no, it's still as amazing as the first time I watched it. Everything was perfect from the the in-ring action, the nearfalls, HBK as the ref and the heat from the crowd. Taker kicking out of the DX Special still gives me goosebumps and is a heartstopping moment. Still the match of the night and the best WWE match of 2012. In my opinion, it's also a candidate for best match ever. All three guys showing respect after the match is just the icing on one damn beautiful cake. Easily remains at *****)



Team Teddy vs Team Johnny 
Its a shame this match was put after the Hell in a Cell because nothing was going to follow it . Ok match but the crowd was dead for it . I also feel bad for Zack Ryder who has been treated like crap for months now. It's not all bad news though , as Team Johnny picks up the victory ! **1/2



(It's no wonder the crowd was quiet for this one, after having spent all their energy on that epic HIAC. The match doesn't mean much now since Big Johnny only lasted three months as General Manager. The match is still fun to watch though. I think this should have been elimination to make it easier on the eyes. Everyone looked kinda silly with the t-shirts too. Fun match but I'm gonna decrease the rating because the heat segment lasted too long for me. **1/4)


CM Punk vs Chris Jericho
The match started off a bit slow but Jericho's heel antics trying to get disqualified were awesome and kept it going . Great finishing sequence where no one knew what was going to happen . This gets better with every viewing . Punk retains with the anaconda vice . A modern Wrestlemania classic . ****


(I always seem to change my mind on the rating for this one. Hopefully this time it'll stick. They had to deal with a crowd that was saving their energy for Cena/Rock, but they worked through it well and managed to get the crowd fired up. Jericho trying to get Punk to DQ himself was pretty cool. Just great action throughout, including a painful-looking suplex to the floor. Awesome stuff. Probably the best match between these two. I'll increase the rating to  ****1/4)


Shouldn't MGK be called the Anorexics? My god eat some meat or something people ! ( Sorry Bryan). Their performance seemed dubbed to me but i dont know if that's how music is nowadays ( even though i'm 17) . Flo Rida's performance was ok but I'm a rocknroll fan so i didn't really bother with it . Great video package for this dream match .


(Looking back, these musical performances did make the match seem like a bigger deal, even if I'm not a fan of the genre)


John Cena vs The Rock : Once in a Lifetime 
I've seen many different opinions on this match . Some think its good , some disappointing , and some think its a classic . Time for me to give my opinion on it . Really similar to the Rock/Hogan match ten years before . The match is slow to start but the last 10-15 mins or so is just golden . I was really surprised with The Rock winning the match . I was so sure that Cena was going to pick up the victory . Due to the atmosphere , the match itself , and how much of a big deal it was . I'll call it a classic . The biggest match in Wrestlemania history and also one of the best . And now also one of the most underrated . ****1/2


(I thought for sure that their second match would lower the rating for their first, but it doesn't. It still feels special and reminds me of the time when no one could predict the winner. I myself thought for sure that Cena would win, and was pleasantly surprised when he lost. I still love their second match too, so I think the Cena/Rock feud may be a guilty pleasure for me. Still awesome to me. ****1/2)


Definitely watch this event . There's something for everyone . Short matches, long matches , dream matches , brutal matches , technical classics , its all here at the Grandest Stage of them all . Wrestlemania .

I'll give it 9/10 , got to be in the top ten Wrestlemania's of all time .


(This is a hard Mania to rate overall. The first part wasn't great even though there was some fun to be had, and the three main events delivered and more! HHH/Taker, Punk/Jericho, and Cena/Rock are all worthy reasons to see this show. I think I'll stick with my 9/10 for the three main events, the beginning of the rise of Bryan, a good Kane/Orton match, an enjoyable divas match, Big Show becoming a Grand Slam Champion and a fun 12 man tag team match. This is certainly a Wrestlemania to be seen)


No comments:

Post a Comment