Search This Blog

Saturday 20 July 2013

Wrestlemania XXV Re-Do Review





Wrestlemania XXV Re-Do Review



I've always found this one a little underrated, as it's usually ranked with the worst of Wrestlemania events. Let's begin.




Didn't really enjoy the Nicole whateverhernameis rendition of America the Beautiful . Felt forced .


(I do think they could have gotten someone a bit classier for this, rather than someone from the Pussycat Dolls. She did a good job though)


Money In The Bank Ladder Match
I love this ladder match no matter how many botches are in it . With money in the bank at Wrestlemania , how can you go wrong ? ***3/4


(I don't know why they put Mark Henry in this match, as there was no way he would make it any more exciting. Still an awesome MITB match which is only let down by some of the slower moments at the beginning. I think some people were disappointed with Punk winning again, but that ended up being a great idea since it led to the Punk/Hardy feud. The match is much shorter than I remember with a big noticeable botch from Shelton Benjamin. I'll give this match  ***1/2)



(Fortunately for me, the Kid Rock concert is not on the DVD, so I won't be able to watch it. Thank god)


25 Diva Battle Royal
SKIP !  DUD


(I'm tempted just to stick with that review. No divas were announced which was really stupid since there were returning stars like Victoria and Sunny. Just pointless and boring with the worst choice of a winner you could imagine. Santino dressed as a woman. Are you kidding? The scary thing is, they stuck with that gimmick for a couple of months. The worst match in Mania history? Quite possibly. Big DUD for this one)


Chris Jericho vs Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka & Ricky Steamboat
When Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka were in the ring , the match sucked , but when Steamboat was in the ring it was magic . It should have been those 2 going one on one like Backlash one month later . Good match . ***


(I overrated this one a bit. The stuff with Snuka and Piper was bad as they couldn't really do anything in the ring, but the stuff with Steamboat was just fantastic. He could have came back full time and showed some of the younger stars a thing or two. I'll say  **1/2 for the whole thing, but definitely watch it for the Steamboat moments)


Jeff Hardy vs Matt Hardy : Extreme Rules
I don't know who said these two have crappy matches together because I thought this was great and brutal . I think Jeff is trying to be too much like Sting with that face paint . Absolutely sick finish and the ladder moment didn't help either . ***1/2


(For some reason, these two just weren't very good against each other in singles matches. Luckily this was an extreme rules match, so they were able to disguise some of that with weapon and high flying spots. This isn't as interesting as I remembered, just a few big spots really. I'll give it  **3/4)


Rey Mysterio vs JBL
Straight away a DUD . Should have been longer . JBL then quits the WWE . Hallelujah , a saving grace !


(Yeah I really wasn't a big JBL fan. I do love him doing commentary though. Would have been nicer if we had a full length match. I'll raise it to a  1/4* because it was still fun to see JBL beaten so quickly)


Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels
In my opinion , this is the greatest match of all time . Everything about it was great : the referee , the commentators , the entrances , the red hot crowd , the amazing nearfalls , and the two legends in that ring . The man who never loses at Wrestlemania vs Mr Wrestlemania . These two have never had a bad match against each other and this was their best . IMO only Bret vs Steve Austin at WM13 comes close to beating this . I've watched this match around 12 times and it still amazes me . Best match ever . Taker goes 17-0 after a tombstone . *****


(The match that got me back into watching wrestling full time in 2010. Still my favourite match of all time and still, in my opinion, the greatest Wrestlemania match of all time. Everything to be said about this match has already been said, and there's nothing I can really add, except to say watch it immediately if you haven't already seen it. Obviously still  *****. Should have been the main event, no way anything was ever going to follow this)



John Cena vs The Big Show vs Edge
This match did quite well considering it had to follow the greatest match of all time . Good little triple threat going on here . Wow John Cena is powerful ! ***1/4


(I'm surprised that the crowd had any energy left to boo Cena with. Main storyline in the match was the love triangle featuring Vickie Guerrero, Edge and Big Show. Cena tried to use that to his advantage. It is amazing that this still managed to be very good, while following an all-time classic match. Probably should have been Cena vs Edge to finally give them that big match feel, but it was still good as it was. Cena lifting both Edge and Show is still a sight to behold. I'm gonna increase this to  ***1/2 as it impressed me even more)


Triple H vs Randy Orton
Talk about disappointing . I'll just leave this **1/2 and be done with it .


(Up there with Lesnar/Goldberg for disappointing Mania matches. The build for the match was excellent, with Orton at his viper best taking out the McMahon family one by one, including Stephanie. It also included HHH going to Orton's house and kicking his ass. It all built up to a whimper, not a bang. I truly believe that if they had done the same as Austin/Rock by announcing the match as No DQ, it could have been awesome. Instead they went in the idiotic opposite direction and made it that HHH had to follow the rules. Bullshit, this should have been a war. Such a missed opportunity. Lowering the rating to  **1/4)


7/10 Good show with a couple of DUDs and a disappointing main event . Everything else was great though .




(Lowering the overall rating to 6.5/10. It should have been bigger for the 25th event of the Showcase of the Immortals. The main event, the Divas battle royal and an out of place IC Title match let it down, but the phenomenal Taker/HBK match gives it 5 points quite easily. The extra 1.5 is for the MITB and World Title match, and also a solid extreme rules match.

No comments:

Post a Comment