Search This Blog

Thursday 5 June 2014

NXT Arrival





NXT Arrival Review


Yes I know it's been a while since this actually aired, but I've finally gotten around to it now. I was very impressed with the recent Takeover show so I want to go back and see how good this show was. Let's begin.



Sami Zayn vs Cesaro
Here is a rematch from the astounding 2/3 Falls match that took place in 2013, which I now have rated at ****1/2. Needless to say this one was highly anticipated and good god did it live up to those high expectations. I have to say that I preferred this to their first match and I might end up having this as my Match of the Year. Yes I did prefer this to Wyatts/Shield and I seem to be in the minority on that one, but I don't care because I absolutely loved this. The storytelling was amazing with Zayn trying his hardest to earn Cesaro's respect, and even though he lost in the end, he earned his respect and the respect of the fans. A superb back and forth contest where you had no idea who was going to come out of it as the victor. The hug at the end was the icing on the cake. Absolutely fantastic stuff and it is what wrestling is all about. *****



CJ Parker vs Mojo Rawley
I really feel bad for these guys having to try and follow what was a true modern classic. Parker's hippy gimmick is a bit strange. How do you spread peace by fighting people? A short match that didn't do much, but it gave Rawley a definitive win and it wasn't offensive to the show. In fact I think it was just here to cool down the crowd. *



The Ascension vs Too Cool
The NXT Tag Titles are on the line. Usually I'd be quite happy to see Too Cool making a small return, but I thought that this show was meant to be showcasing the next generation of stars, not the last generation. Another short contest but it was pretty fun while it lasted and I always enjoy Scotty 2 Hotty performing the worm. Ascension got a nice win over a (kind of) established team from the WWE. *3/4



Paige vs Emma
The NXT Women's Title is on the line. Hopefully we'll see these two square off on the main WWE roster at some point, even if Emma's gimmick isn't really getting over with the Smackdown/Raw audience. Another great women's match that just highlights how awful the main divas division really is, as this is sublime compared to a Bella match or an Aksana match. A good back and forth battle that showcased the skills of both women. Paige debuted her finishing submission move to win the match. ***1/2



Xavier Woods vs Tyler Breeze
Yet another cool down match I guess. Well not really as the match doesn't even take place thanks to quick interference from Alexander Rusev. He takes out both men to make a statement. NR



Adrian Neville vs Bo Dallas : Ladder Match
The NXT World Championship is on the line. Bo had held the Title for quite a long time at this point and I think that everyone was ready to see him finally drop the gold. This wasn't the most spectacular ladder match I've seen, but it got the job done well. I really like Adrian's tornado DDT using a wedged ladder. A good ladder match that kept the drama going throughout and we got a few good ladder spots too. A fitting end to the show. ***1/4



8.5/10. I prefer Takeover to this show, but this was still an excellent debut for an NXT Special. The Cesaro/Zayn match alone gives this show a recommendation, but add in a great women's match and a good main event, you get an awesome show. Definitely check this one out if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment