Search This Blog

Monday 7 April 2014

A Tribute to a Legend





Sunday, April 6th 2014 at Wrestlemania XXX the unthinkable took place. The Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania that had lasted an astounding 23 years was broken. Every wrestling fan around the world was shocked. Many felt angered, confused, and saddened. I still don't know how to feel, I'm mostly still in shock from the events that took place. I don't know if the Undertaker is going to retire now, but if he is I would want to thank him for making me the wrestling fan that I am today. I wouldn't be writing anything on this blog if it weren't for the Deadman.


When I first started watching wrestling in 2004, the Undertaker wasn't around.  He had been buried alive by my favourite wrestler at the time; Kane. In the weeks leading to Wrestlemania XX many vignettes were aired that hyped the resurrection of the Undertaker. All I knew of the Phenom was from his Biker days in old VHS tapes. Finally the day came on March 14th 2004. I sat there at the age of nine, ready to see my favourite guy finally beat up this so-called Demon of Death Valley and send him back to the grave.


"Oh Yessssssssss!", a shrill voice cried. Suddenly the lights went out and a small man with an urn appeared, followed by some mysterious hooded figures carrying flaming torches. For the first time I was introduced to Paul Bearer (RIP). I found him fascinating, but I had no time for that as it was apparent that something big was about to happen. Then the bell tolled. For the first time ever I witnessed and heard the start of Undertaker's legendary entrance music. I stood in awe as a man walked slowly out with a ten gallon hat and a long leather coat. I was entranced the entire time it took him to reach the ring. His eyes rolled up to the back of his head and to me that was the coolest thing ever. By the time the match ended I couldn't give a damn about Kane. I had a new favourite wrestler, one that would remain my favourite for another decade.



Undertaker's 2004 was pretty bad in terms of in-ring action such as the dull battles with JBL, the Concrete Crypt mess and the clash with Heidenreich. I stood by Taker during that entire year and absolutely loved watching him perform. I even had his picture on my damn birthday cake. Hell, I even have his symbol tattooed on my right arm. Over the next few years I would stop watching and then start watching again multiple times, and my first thought coming back each time was to find out what Undertaker was doing.


Unfortunately I didn't come back to wrestling full time until 2010, when Taker was really slowing down and only appearing at Wrestlemania and for a feud with Kane. This gave me the opportunity to go back and find a lot of his back catalog of matches from his debut at Survivor Series 1990, through some road bumps like Giant Gonzales and the fake Undertaker, up to his days in the Ministry, and finally his days as a biker. He may not have had the best matches but I didn't care about that, I just loved watching him perform.

But now as I sit here with tears in my eyes, it looks as if it could be the end of the Deadman's illustrious career.

Thank you for giving me a hero to look up to, and many amazing memories that I'll always cherish.

Thank you Undertaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment